Esther S. Chang, PhD
Associate Professor of Psychology
- Ph.D., University of California, Irvine
- M.A., Columbia University
- B.A., Oberlin College
- Globalization and the transition to adulthood
- Culture, parenting and education
- Shared agency in social relationships
Selected Papers, Publications & Lectures
- Chang E.S., Chen, C., Greenberger, E., Dooley, D., & Heckhausen, J. (2006). What do they want in life?: The life goals of a multi-ethnic, multi-generational sample of high school seniors. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 35, 321-332.
*This journal currently has the highest Impact Factor (2.797) and Eigenfactors of journals devoted to the social science understanding of adolescence.
- Germo, G., Chang, E.S., Keller, M., & Goldberg, W.A. (2007). Child sleep arrangements and family life: Perspectives from mothers and fathers. Infant and Child Development, 16, 433-456.
- Lench, H. & Chang, E.S. (2007). Belief in an unjust world: when beliefs in a just world fail. Journal of Personality assessment, 89, 1-10.
- Chang, E. S. (2008). Ethnic differences and similarities in shared agency between older youth and parents. Doctoral dissertation, University of California, Irvine, 2007. Dissertation abstracts international, 68, (7-B).
- Heckhausen, J. & Chang, E.S. (2009). How ambition can help overcome social inequality in the transition to adulthood. Research on Human Development, 6, 235-251.
- Chang, E.S., Heckhausen, J., Greenberger, E., & Chen, C. (2010). Shared agency with parents for educational goals: Ethnic differences and implications for college adjustment. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 39, 1293-1304. doi:10.1007/s10964-009-9488-7.
- Chang, E.S., Greenberger, E., Chen, C., Heckhausen, J., & Farruggia, S.P. (2010). Non-parental adults as social resources for adolescents in the transition after high school. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 20, 1065-1082. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-7795.2010.00662.x
*This is the official journal of the Society of Research on Adolescence.
- Chang, E.S. & Greenberger, E. (2012). Parenting Satisfaction at Midlife among European and Asian American Mothers with a College-Enrolled Child. Asian American Journal of Psychology, 3, 263-274. doi:10.1037/a0026555
*This journal is a publication of the American Psychological Association.
- Heckhausen, J., Chang E.S., Chen, C., & Greenberger, E. (2013). Striving for Educational and Career Goals During the Transition After High School: What is Beneficial? Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 42, 1385-1398. doi:10.1007/s10964-012-9812-5
- Chang, E.S. (2013). Negotiating family obligations and educational goals among college-enrolled youth on Jeju Island, Korea. Journal for Research on Adolescence, 23, 25-34. doi:10.1111/j.1532-7795.2012.00814.x
Courses Taught at SUA
- Introduction to Psychology (Psyc 100)
- Lifespan Developmental Psychology (Psyc 350)
- Cross-Cultural Psychology (Psyc 360)
- Psychology of Education (Psyc 370)
- Parenting Research and Applications (Psyc 450)
- Core 200
- Learning Cluster
Selected Honors & Awards
- Ford Foundation Diversity Dissertation Fellowship, Honorable Mention, 2007.
- School of Social Ecology Dean's Dissertation Writing Fellowship, UCI, 2007.
- School of Social Ecology Dean's Dissertation Data Gathering Award, UCI, 2006.
- Ford Foundation Predoctoral Diversity Fellowship, Honorable, 2005
- Outstanding Social Ecology School Mentor Award, UCI,2004-2006.
- Martha Newkirk Fellowship Endowment, UCI 2001
Click here for a Narrative Biography
Click here for a Curriculum Vitae