George Busenberg, PhD
Associate Professor of Environmental Management and Policy
- Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- B.A., Rice University
- 2009 - present, Associate Professor of Environmental Management and Policy, Soka University of America
- 2013 - 2016, Director of Environmental Studies Concentration, Soka University of America
- 2002 - 2009, Assistant Professor, University of Colorado Denver
- 2000 - 2002, Assistant Professor, University of Nevada Las Vegas
- 1997 - 2000, Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Environmental Policy
Selected Papers, Publications, Presentations, & Exhibits
- Busenberg, George J. 2013. Oil and Wilderness in Alaska: Natural Resources, Environmental Protection, and National Policy Dynamics. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press.
Book Chapters and Entries
- Busenberg, George J. 2016. “Agenda Setting and Policy Reform.” In American Governance, edited by Stephen Schechter, Thomas S. Vontz, Thomas A. Birkland, Mark A. Graber, and John J. Patrick. Vol. 1, 31-32. Farmington Hills, MI: Macmillan Reference USA.
- Busenberg, George J. 2010. “Collaboration, Citizen Participation, and Environmental Protection in the Marine Oil Trade of Alaska.” In Strategic Collaboration in Public and Nonprofit Administration: A Practice-Based Approach to Solving Shared Problems, edited by Dorothy Norris-Tirrell and Joy A. Clay, 233-251. Boca Raton, FL: Taylor & Francis Group CRC Press.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Busenberg, George J. 2011. “The Policy Dynamics of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System.” Review of Policy Research 28(5): 401-422.
- Busenberg, George J. 2008. “Managing the Hazard of Marine Oil Pollution in Alaska.” Review of Policy Research 25(3): 203-218.
- Busenberg, George J. 2007. “Citizen Participation and Collaborative Environmental Management in the Marine Oil Trade of Coastal Alaska.” Coastal Management 35: 239-253.
- Busenberg, George J. 2004. “Adaptive Policy Design for the Management of Wildfire Hazards.” American Behavioral Scientist 48(3): 314-326.
- Busenberg, George J. 2004. “Wildfire Management in the United States: The Evolution of a Policy Failure.” Review of Policy Research 21(2): 145-156.
- Busenberg, George J. 2001. “Learning in Organizations and Public Policy.” Journal of Public Policy 21(2): 173-189.
- Busenberg, George J. 2000. “Resources, Political Support, and Citizen Participation in Environmental Policy: A Reexamination of Conventional Wisdom.” Society & Natural Resources 13: 579-587.
- Busenberg, George J. 2000. “Innovation, Learning, and Policy Evolution in Hazardous Systems.” American Behavioral Scientist 44(4): 679-691.
- Lynn, Frances M., George J. Busenberg, Nevin Cohen, and Caron Chess. 2000. “Chemical Industry’s Community Advisory Panels: What Has Been Their Impact?” Environmental Science & Technology 34(10): 1881-1886.
- Busenberg, George J. 1999. “Collaborative and Adversarial Analysis in Environmental Policy.” Policy Sciences 32: 1-11.
- Busenberg, George J. 1999. “The Evolution of Vigilance: Disasters, Sentinels and Policy Change.” Environmental Politics 8(4): 90-109.
- Lynn, Frances M., and George J. Busenberg. 1995. “Citizen Advisory Committees and Environmental Policy: What We Know, What’s Left to Discover.” Risk Analysis 15(2): 147-162.
Courses Taught at SUA
- Environmental Policy
- International and Comparative Environmental Policy
- Environmental Law
- Environmental Management
- Environmental Movements
- Nature and Humanity
- Modes of Inquiry
- Learning Cluster: Disasters and Emergency Management
- Learning Cluster: Protecting Natural Areas
Selected Honors & Awards
- Excellence in Teaching Award, School of Public Affairs, University of Colorado Denver, 2005