Xiaoxing Liu, PhD
Associate Professor of Chinese Language & Culture
- Ph.D. Cultural Anthropology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- M. A., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Associate Professor of Chinese Language and Culture, Soka University of America, 2004 - present
- Lecturer, Northwestern University, 1999 - 2004
- Instructor, Northeastern Illinois University, 1998 - 1998
- Intercultural competence through study abroad
- Culture, politics and social change
- Health care among the Yi in China
- Foreign Language Pedagogy
Selected Papers, Publications, Presentations, & Exhibits
- 2013, On the Importance of Host Country Culture: the case of American campus culture. In Chinese Language International Education: present situations and strategies. Edited by Mingbao Jiang. Beijing: Beijing Language and Culture University Press.
- 2013, The Significance of Matrilineal Elements in the Yi’s Social History. In Journal of Ethnology, Vol. 4 No. 1, January 2013.
- 2012, A Study of Moso Matrilineal System. Co-authored with Yan Ruxian. Kunming: Yunnan People's Press.
- 2011, Matrilineal System, the Visit, and Modernization among Minorities in China. In Diversity and Change:Cross-Cultural Perspectives on Marriage and the Family. Edited by Mingan Qu and Chuan-Kang Shih. Intellectual Property Press: Beijing.
- 2008, Research on the Na and Academic Integrity. In Critique of Anthropology 28(3). Sage Publications. September, 2008.
- 2007, A Mirror of Magic and Sciences: Health Care among the Yi. Kunming: Yunnan People’s Press.
- 2014, Red songs in Chinese Society. Presented at the Third International Symposium on Chinese Language and Discourse, at Birkbeck University of London, June 11-13, 2014.
- 2013, Teaching and Studying Abroad Complement Each Other: the case of Soka University of America. Presented at the Third Forum on Fostering the International Chinese Language Teachers at the Open University of China, Beijing, July 12-14, 2013.
- 2012, Border Crossing and Tibetan Identity. Presented at the 111th AAA Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA November 14-18, 2012.
- 2012, Understanding Campus Culture, Teaching Chinese with Ease. at the Forum on Fostering the International Chinese Language Teachers at the Open University of China, Beijing, July 20-21, 2012.
- 2012, Classroom Teaching of the Particle "了" at The Chinese Language Teachers' Association of Southern California Spring 2012 Chinese Pedagogy Workshop at University of California, Irvine. May 5, 2012.
- 2010, Matrilineal Elements and Their Implications in the Yi Society, Key Note Speaker at International Conference on the Origin of Ancient Yi Culture. Xichang, China, August 3-5, 2010.
- 2009, Medical Culture and Famous Prefecture Building, at Chuxiong Culture Prefecture Building Forum. Chuxion, China. August 1-3, 2009.
- 2009, Pursuing a Better Life and Carrying on Cultural Tradition: Solutions of the Moso and the Zhaba, at the 16th World Congress of the International Union of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences. Kunming, China. July 27-31, 2009.
- 2009, Chinese Peasants in the Market Economy: A Preliminary Research Project, at the Pacific Coast 43rd Annual Conference. SUA, Aliso Viejo. June 19-21, 2009.
- 2008, Modernization and Human Rights in 20th Century China, at the Conference "El Estado ed las tres Culturas (The State in the Three Cultures)" University of Sevilla. April 16-17, 2008.
- 2007, Tourism and Ethnic Minorities in Southwest China, at the Symposium of China in Transition. SUA, Aliso Viejo. May 12th 2007.
Courses Taught at SUA
- CHI101 First-year Chinese I
- CHI102 First-year Chinese II
- CHI201 Second-year Chinese I
- CHI202 Second-year Chinese II
- CHI306 Intermediate Conversation
- CHI310 Advanced Conversation
- CHI311 Intermediate Reading and Writing
- CHI312 Advanced Reading and Writing
- CHI313 Classical Poem and Text Appreciation
- CHI401 Cultural History of China
- CHI410 Chinese Literature and Film
- CHI415 Contemporary Issues in China
- Peace, Education and NGOs
- Immigrants in the United States
- Ethnic Minorities in Yunnan China: Tradition, Identity, and Modernization
- Searching for Interpretations of Happiness
- Tibetan Refugees: The Struggle for Identity
Selected Honors & Awards
- 2010-2011 Professor of the year. Soka University of America.
- 2008 PBRC Summer Research Stipend
- 2004-2005 Professor of the Year. Soka University of America.
- 2002-2003 Faculty/Administrator Honor Roll. Northwestern University.