Soka University of America Environmental Mission Statement & Principles
With the guiding principle: “To foster leaders for the creative coexistence of nature and humanity,” Soka University of America recognizes sustainability as intrinsic to our mission and values. To foster such global citizens living a contributive life, we engage all members of our campus community to incorporate sustainable practices in all areas of university activity, including teaching, research, planning, operations, and student engagement. By utilizing specific measures of success and communicating our achievements, Soka University of America strives to become a role model for sustainable practices and progenitor of future leaders and advocates for sustainability.
Soka University of America Environmental Policy Statement
Soka University of America will:
1. Integrate sustainability within the university’s operations and campus.
2. Develop a comprehensive plan to attain climate neutrality.
3. Maintain its environmental leadership by following recognized third-party standards.
4. Require all new campus construction to be built to at least the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED Silver standard or the equivalent.
5. Develop policies and programs to reduce and manage hazardous and polluting materials generated by university activities.
6. Practice water conservation and manage runoff and stormwater pollution.
7. Make its environmental policies, plans and progress reports publicly available.
8. Participate in the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE).
9. Meet or exceed all federal, state, and local safety and environmental laws.