CET Academic Programs, Harbin Institute of Technology (HIT)
- Spring Semester (Mid February - Early June)
- Fall Semester (Late August - Mid December)
- GPA - 3.0
- The program requires at least four previous semesters of Chinese language study
Designed for high intermediate and advanced students (300 - 400 level Chinese)
- Very strict Language Pledge - NO ENGLISH.
- The Intensive Chinese Program is hosted by the Harbin Institute of Technology (HIT), one of China's top ten institutions.
- 10-15 participants per semester
- Students take a combination of individual and small group classes, and focus both on breadth and accuracy.
- 20 hours a week of Chinese language classes.
- 2 required courses: Individually tailored "one-on-one tutorials" (400-500 level content course) and "one-on-two drill class" (mainly pronunciation class).
- 4 hrs/week one-on-one tutorial to discuss research topic with non-language, but subject specialist.
- 2 Elective courses (class size 3-6 students)
- Optional weekly cultural activities (field trips, extracurricular classes like cooking, calligraphy)
- 1 Chinese Practicum – Students use Chinese language outside of the classroom with local citizens.
Midterm & final research paper (essay and oral presentation) required.
- The Weekend Trip. This three-day excursion takes students to a nearby city like Dalian or Dandong. Part of the experience is the getting there. Students travel as locals do— by hard-sleeper train to simple, but comfortable, hotels.
- The Immersion Retreat. This overnight trip takes all students, teachers and roommates to the rural countryside for a weekend of Chinese activities. Students hike in pristine mountains, interact with villagers and eat local food.
- CET students live with their Chinese roommates in the foreign students' dormitory and abide by a Chinese-only language pledge. Sharing a room with a local roommate is frequently cited by CET students as “one of the best parts of the program.”
- Dormitory rooms are arranged in suites, with two rooms sharing one bathroom. All rooms have internet access.
- CET students reside in an international student dormitory directly across from the campus tennis, basketball and volleyball courts. CET students have discovered that pick-up games are a great way to make Chinese friends.