Date Posted: 05/03/2010
Soka University of America is seeking a Counselor. The Counselor will be responsible for providing counseling services to enrolled students during the academic school year which runs from August through May.
The Counselor will provide counseling on issues such as handling personal crises, coping with anxiety and depression, establishing and maintaining relationships, working on changing relationships with parents and other family members, dealing with losses and handling new academic demands. The Counselor is expected to provide on-going support for students with psychological disorders in consultation with the student's physician and/or psychiatrist and the university's health services. In addition, the counselor is expected to support international students in their adjustment to life in the U.S. and advise students in the areas of cross-cultural and diversity issues. The Counselor is expected to collaborate with faculty and other university personnel when necessary.
Candidates should have:
● Master's Degree in a related field (counseling, social work, psychology).
● Licensed as a professional counselor, psychologist, psychotherapist..
● Minimum of two years of counseling experience in higher education.
● Experience working with students from different social, cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
● Demonstrated understanding and sensitivity regarding cultural traditions, language barriers, and differential experiences.
● Foreign language ability a plus.
● Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and an enthusiasm for working with students,
faculty and other university personnel.
● A student-centered philosophy.
● High ethical and professional standards.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. To apply send a letter of interest, resume, salary history and three professional references, to:Human Resources Re: Counselor Soka University of America 1 University Drive Aliso Viejo, CA 92656-4105 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Soka University of America is an equal opportunity employer.