Date Posted: 07/12/2012
Under direct supervision of the Technical Services Manager (TSM), the Stage/Lighting Technician assists the Soka Performing Arts Center technical staff with events and performances on a part-time basis. Works to maintain and improve the integrity, condition, and value of the Center as a world-class performing arts facility for the campus and larger community. Mounts various events by professional artists presented by Soka University of America or other organizations which license (rent) the Performing Arts Center.
- Responds to work calls made by the TSM and assists in the creation of work call schedules.
- Provides general support for all technical stage and backstage needs, including set-up, operation and strike/tear-down, for all events in the Soka Performing Arts Center (including music concerts, recitals, dance/theatre productions, film screenings, meetings, and classes).
- Specifically responsible for general lighting design and operation of lighting system during performances and events (including music concerts, recitals, dance/theatre productions, film screenings, meetings, and classes).
- Operates the motorized rigging system and related rigging support systems.
- Interacts with artists and their technical/production staff, licensee clients and staff, and university staff and students in the planning and execution of events
- Demonstrates a professional and friendly working rapport with artists, licensee clients and university staff and students, and demonstrates fantastic customer service skills, integrity and reliability.
- Creates and maintains a safe and pleasant working environment for staff and customers
- Performs maintenance on stage equipment and theatre systems as required and maintains records of maintenance and repairs.
- Assists in training and supervising student technical crews.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associates Degree in Theatre/Performing Arts design & technology or equivalent professional experience in technical theater, stage operations and stage lighting for the theatre.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends required
- Knowledge and practical hands-on experience working with modern computerized lighting systems in a professional theatrical setting – specifically ETC Ion and ETCNet3
- Demonstrated proficiency in stage lighting design, and electricity for the performing arts
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of stage rigging, counterweight systems and motorized rigging systems and standard practices for their operation
- Computer proficiency and knowledge of standard office software as well as specialized theatrical and entertainment software such as Vectorworks Spotlight, ETCNet3, etc.
- Work effectively and sensitively with diverse constituencies
- Able to provide excellent customer service and public relations skills; work under pressure and within set timeframes; work independently as well as an effective team member in the execution of events and other assigned tasks; be outgoing and enjoy working with people; and establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- A strong understanding of safety issues associated with working in a theatrical setting
- Excellent oral, interpersonal communication, and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in reading, understanding, interpreting and implementing technical riders and other written documents
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds
- Students (5-10)
- On-Call temporary staff (as required per event)
Hourly rate: $15.00 - $17.50/hr
Review of applications will begin immediately. The position will remain open until filled. To apply send letter of interest, resume, and three professional references to:Human Resources Re: Stage/Lighting Technician Soka University of America 1 University Drive, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 or E-mail: email@example.com
Soka University of America is an equal opportunity employer.