Financial Aid FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions


What is SUA's financial aid policy?

Meeting the costs of an undergraduate education represents a significant investment for many families. At Soka University of America, however, we are committed to providing comprehensive, merit and need-based financial aid programs that make it possible for admitted students who meet specific requirements and deadlines to attend Soka University. SUA admits students without regard to their ability to pay. SUA's need-blind admission policy means that a student's financial need will not affect his or her possible admission to the university. 

Net-Price Calculator

How do I apply as a U.S. citizen for financial aid at SUA?

A U.S. citizen or permanent resident who wants to be considered for financial aid must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form for the appropriate year. Both early and regular applicants will be required to complete and submit the FAFSA form annually by March 2nd of each year. Required verification information (see our Domestic/Financial Aid web page) must be submitted byMay 2nd  of each year. Applicants accepted during the early admission process may request an estimate of financial aid by contacting the Office of Financial Aid. FAFSA forms will be available after January 1st on-line at

I understand that Soka University's process for evaluating my financial need is a similar process that other colleges use. Does this mean that I can expect to pay the same at SUA as I would at any other college?

No. Although the processes for evaluating need are similar, the amount you may pay at SUA may be different from what you would pay at another institution because total costs are different for each institution.

What is the total cost of attending SUA?

The total direct cost to attend SUA for the 2016-2017 year will be $40,406. This figure includes $29,372 for tuition, $11,812 for room and board and incidental costs of approximately $3,000 for a domestic student and $4,000 for international students.

I'm an international student. Do I need to fill out the FAFSA? What should I do if I want to apply for financial aid?

International students do NOT need to fill out the FAFSA. International students must complete an "International Student Financial Aid Application." The completed application must be received at SUA by March 2nd of each year.  

My parents did not make enough money last year to be required to file a federal tax return. What should they do?

Have your parents submit a statement indicating income, supported with copies of W-2. International students should submit official translated documents with income figures converted to U.S. dollars.

When will I find out if I am eligible to receive aid at SUA?

Merit Scholarship letters will be mailed before March 31st of each year. However, financial aid award letters will not be mailed until SUA has received ALL required documentation to complete a financial aid file. Therefore, SUA encourages the families of financial aid applicants to file their taxes as early as possible. Returning students will be notified of their financial aid status before the beginning of the next academic year. Please note that both the FAFSA and International Student Financial Aid Applications are due by March 2nd each year. All verification documents are due by May 2nd. Do NOT wait for the final Admission decision before submitting your application for financial aid.

I still have some questions about the financial aid process and would prefer speaking to someone in person or by telephone. Who can be contacted with questions?

Please contact the Office of Financial Aid at (949) 480-4342, email at  Our office is located on the 2nd floor of Founders Hall.  Our office hours are Monday-Friday, 9 am to 5 pm.

Back to top