The Resident Advisor (RA) will serve as a paraprofessional Residential Life staff member during the academic year. RAs work closely with the professional staff in supporting the Residential Life mission of supporting residents in cultivating a meaningful living-learning community and to provide a purposeful experiential program fostering student leadership where residents develop life and interpersonal skills, self-responsibility, and an appreciation for diversity.
Resident Advisors serve as SUPPORTERS:
- Initiating and maintaining positive relationships with residents.
- Being accessible and visible for residents within the hall.
- Listening to concerns.
- Mediating minor conflicts between residents.
- Treating conversations with residents confidentially.
- Leading and facilitating community meetings.
Resident Advisors serve as a RESOURCE:
- Communicating pertinent information about Residential Life and the university to residents.
- Being knowledgeable of Residential Life programs, Student Affairs and University sponsored events.
- Regularly posting information regarding on and off campus events including related educational materials and service-focused information.
- Being knowledgeable about university services including Counseling and Career Services, Security, Facilities, Health Center, and other campus offices.
- Refering residents to other offices on campus when necessary.
Resident Advisors serve as COMMUNITY BUILDERS:
- Coordinating with the Residential Life professional staff in assessing the needs and interests of residents.
- Assisting in the planning and implementation of community building activities for residents.
- Assisting the professional staff with community programs.
- Supporting and participating in community-wide programs.
- Sharing information relevant to the community at large with representatives of the Residents’ Council.
Resident Advisors serve as COMMUNITY GUARDIANS:
- Explaining and enforcing all hall and university policies.
- Communicating information impacting community citizens (medical, facility, policy) to the professional staff.
Resident Advisors serve as ADMINISTRATORS:
- Serving "on-duty" in the residence halls.
- Performing community walks of residence halls.
- Inform professional staff of issues or concerns that occur within the community at large.
- Open residents’ doors for lock-outs.